Raising kids is a challenging endeavor. There’s so much to do, so much to teach, and it never seems like there’s enough time. One of the most important things you can do for your kids is to gift them with a healthy, active lifestyle so they’ll live lives free of weight issues and health problems like diabetes, heart disease, asthma, and high blood pressure.
- Start the day with breakfast. Breakfast refuels children’s bodies and gives them the energy they need for the day. Instilling the breakfast habit in your kids will set them on the path for better mornings throughout their lives.
- Enlist your kids in their own nutrition. Make healthy snacks like fruits and vegetables readily available and talk to your children about good food choices. Get them involved, letting them help plan and prepare a meal each week.
- Make healthy choices in what you serve. Stick to water, natural fruit juice, or milk to drink, and serve a variety of nutrient-dense foods, making whole grains and produce mainstays of your diet. Eat together as a family whenever possible, and teach kids to take their time eating, chewing slowly so that their brains can register fullness.
- Encourage a healthy relationship with food. Don’t use food as a reward or demand a clean plate. Model healthy eating, cook nutritious foods and teach your kids to listen to their bodies’ signals about hunger and satiety.
- Work more activity into your daily routine. Aim for 30 to 60 minutes of physical activity each day and make it a habit to exercise as a family. It’s easy to incorporate activity into your downtime, whether you’re walking the dog, shooting hoops, playing tag, working in the garden, riding bikes, or taking a hike.
- Cut down on screen time. Make it a rule that TV, computer, and video game time should add up to less than two hours each day. Encourage kids to go outside and play instead.
- Set a good example. Park your car far away from the grocery store, take the stairs instead of the elevator, or get off the bus a stop early. Make a point of being active every day, to be a good role model for your kids.
The Wellbridge Family of Athletic Clubs is a great place to be healthy and active. The minute you walk through our doors, you’ll know you’ve found your home away from home. You’ll be greeted by our friendly team before you’re challenged and motivated by top-notch instructors in our fitness classes. World-class trainers are the heart of our club, and we stay up to date with the latest in health and wellness. You’ll make new friends because you belong here. Join today or contact us to learn more.