Core strengthening: what is it, why is it important, and how do you do it? You may have heard the term and yet not know the details. Here, we break it down for you, with useful information and exercises designed to give you a strong core.
- First, what is the core? When people talk about the core, they’re referring to the midsection of the body. This includes your front, rear, and sides and connects your body’s upper and lower regions. There are many muscles in your core, and the major muscle groups include:
- The “6 pack” abdominal muscles known as rectus abdominis
- Pelvic floor muscles, which support your pelvic organs
- Internal and external obliques, the muscles on the sides of the abdomen
- Transverse abdominis, the deep, internal muscle that wraps around your sides and spine
- Multifidus muscles, small muscles that support the spine
- Erector spinae, muscles in your lower back
- Diaphragm, the muscle that supports your breathing
- Why is strengthening the core important? Building strength and stability in your midsection build better balance and posture and can even reduce back pain. The core is the center of all of your movement, and anything you do to make it stronger will benefit everything you do. Strengthening your core stabilizes your whole body, protects you from injury, and can even help you eliminate midsection fat. This kind of fat causes problems with your posture and can also put you at higher risk for health issues like diabetes and heart disease.
- How can you build a strong core? We’re glad you asked! Because the core is made up of many muscles, the most efficient core exercises work the entire muscle group at once. Check out this list of 20 Effective Core Exercises and get to work! The great news is that you can do these exercises without any special equipment, even if you can’t get to the club.
When you walk into one of the Wellbridge Family of Athletic Clubs, you’ll know you’ve found your home away from home. Our friendly team will greet you before you’re challenged and motivated by top-notch instructors in our fitness classes. World-class trainers are the heart of our club, and we stay up-to-date with the latest in health and wellness. You’ll make new friends because you belong here. Join today or contact us to learn more.
$0 Enrollment when you join by December 15