Lower Back Strengthening Exercises
If you suffer from lower back pain, you’re not alone. About 10 percent of people worldwide deal with lower back pain at some point, but fortunately, there’s something you can do about it. Exercising can increase circulation to your back, and exercises designed to work the lower back and core muscles can prevent or alleviate lower back pain. These exercises are performed on the floor, so make sure you have a comfortable place to stretch out, perhaps on an exercise mat or towel.
- Bridges: Lie on your back, knees bent and feet flat on the floor, hip-width apart. Pressing your feet into the floor, arms by your sides, raise your buttocks so that your body forms a straight line from the shoulders to the knees. Hold that position for 10 seconds, lower back to the ground, repeat 15 times, and rest one minute. Do 3 sets of 15 reps.
- Knee to Chest Stretches: Lying on your back, bend your knees, both feet flat on the floor. Using both hands, pull one knee toward the chest, old it against the chest for five seconds with abdominal muscles tight and spine pressed to the floor, return to starting position and switch legs. Repeat 2 to 3 times, twice daily.
- Lower Back Rotational Stretches: Lying on your back, knees bent and feet flat on the ground, roll both knees to one side, keeping shoulders on the floor. Hold for 5 to 10 seconds, return to start, and roll to the opposite side. Repeat 2 to 3 times, twice daily.
- Draw-in Maneuvers: Lying on your back, knees bent and feet flat, arms by your sides, breathe in deeply. As you breathe out, tighten the abdominal muscles to pull in your bellybutton, keeping hips still. Hold for 5 seconds, repeating 5 times.
- Cat Stretches: On your hands and knees, knees hip-width apart, arch your back, pulling in the bellybutton. Slowly relax and let your abdomen sag to the floor, then return to the starting position. Repeat 3 to 5 times, twice daily.
- Leg Lifts: Lie on one side, legs together, lower leg slightly bent. Engage the core muscles by pulling the bellybutton towards the spine, then raise the top leg 18 inches, keeping it straight and extended, and hold it for 2 seconds. Repeat 10 times, then turn onto the other side and repeat with the other leg. Do 3 sets on each side.
At our clubs, you’ll be greeted by our friendly team before you’re challenged and motivated by top-notch instructors in our fitness classes. You’ll make new friends because you belong here. Join today or contact us to learn more.